Greetings everyone,

I seem to have a problem with my tar backups.

When I check the backed up information, I see:

-rw-r--r--    1 paul     paul     102400000 Mar  8 12:00 backup1.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 paul     paul     102400000 Mar  7 12:00 backup2.tar.gz

Weird, since the backup1 file (made today) should be bigger than the one
that rolled over to backup2 from yesterday; I installed OpenOffice 1.0.2.

When listing the contents of the backup1 file (tar -tzf backup1.tar.gz), tar
lists part of the file and then tells me

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive

I run Mandrake 8.2 with

[EMAIL PROTECTED] paul]$ tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25

The command I use to make the backup-file is

tar -czf backup1.tar.gz -X ~/div/dont_do ~/*

where ~/div/dontdo contains the extensions of some files I do not want
backed up.

Am I hitting some kind of limit with tar files? Would be strange, at work we
tar files that grow into the 1Gb size (running HP-UX though).

Paul

--
If thou thinkest twice, before thou speakest once,
thou wilt speak twice the better for it.

http://nlpagan.net - Linux by Mandrake - Sylpheed by Hiro