Hello all,

I thought to be smart, but bit myself in the nose.

I intend to go for Mdk 9.1 when it comes available. I remembered that the
best thing to do is format / and /usr at least, to make the setup as clean
as possible. Of course, one would leave /home alone.

I have separate partitions for

/   /var   /usr   /home

But I think that in /etc there are a lot of settings and such (like
/etc/postfix), so I stuck that in a separate partition. Which is where
things went sour after a reboot. The new /etc (/dev/hdf2) could not be
unmounted, and after reboot it could not be found when the system went
looking for /etc/inittab. Luckily CD1 and rescue mode were nice enough to
help me get things up and running again.

Is there no easy way to preserve all kinds of settings and configs from /etc
other than selecting and backing up files by hand?
(Damn, I am getting more lazy with Linux than winblows ever had me!)

Thanks,
Paul

--
If thou thinkest twice, before thou speakest once,
thou wilt speak twice the better for it.

http://nlpagan.net - Linux by Mandrake - Sylpheed by Hiro