I would like to reprint something from cooker, since I know Austin does not
possibly have the time to have monitored newbie as well as put this together
for us

and many many THANKS to Austin,

Well, since 9.1 should be out next week, and most of the
kernel/alsa/jack problems seem to be cleared up, I'd like to present
the howto for setting up a digital audio workstation with Mandrake 9.1.
  While several specialty distros have tried to come up with a pro
quality, easy to set-up DAW, they have failed or are floundering.  What
people don't realize is that you don't need a specialty distro.  You
can set up a DAW on Mandrake 9.1 with about six commands.  Hopefully
this will be publicised a bit, and may be a good selling point for
Mandrake 9.1.

see http://groundstate.ca/mdkaw.html

Comments/corrections/suggestions are welcome.

Many thanks to Buchan, Danny, and Quel for assistance and ideas.

Enjoy,
Austin