On Sun, 2003-03-09 at 00:07, Andrew Scotchmer wrote:
>  - what is the guest OS, BTW?
>
> Win98 for the girlfriend.
>
> Andrew

OK, so being that you can't replace the girlfriend with a linux
girlfriend, I'd tend to reckon that you need to make ABSOLUTELY sure you
have Samba setup on the host box with the right workgroup/domain name,
and set to share whatever shares you want (Use Webmin/SWAT to setup
Samba - so so so much easier); afterwards, make sure you have the Win98
guest OS setup to obtain by DHCP, use the same workgroup/domain settings
you just mucked with in linux, set TCP/IP as the default protocol, add
the linux box to the C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS file for further solidity, set the
"sharing" in Win98 to be turned on, and the "virtual ethernet card" to
10mbps - full duplex (as that's all it's capable of dealing with); and
restart the VM...you should be able to not only share the internet
connection, but have visible shares of the linux host to the Win98
guest...

Sounds all "rocket-science" and the likes, but in reality it's fairly
simple. I use VMWare for XP-Pro in a Windows - not that I use it even
much anymore - been over a month since I fired it up...but it does work
nicely.

I found as well, that by putting the virtual machine on a different
physical drive than that of the OS that I get better performance - as
well, after tweaking/tuning the HD params you get some really good
performance - moreso than an actual installation of Win98. You can also
setup a second virtual HD for the Win98 guest - nice place to put the
\TEMP, the Win98 swap and the IE's temporary internet files...just to
improve performance a tad bit more...

HTH! Cheers!

--
Sun,  9 Mar 2003 08:20:00 +1100
  8:20am  up 21:24,  4 users,  load average: 0.79, 0.41, 0.33
|            __    __          | kuhn media australia            |
|           / ,, /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com           |
|          .\__/ || |   |      |=================================|
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kuhn                    |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808                 |
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389            |
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU   |
| linux user:267497 * RH 7.3/8.1 * Mandrake 9.1 * Microsoft Free |
|      PC/Mac/Linux/Networking/Web/Graphics/Consulting           |

egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast deterministic
algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space.
-- unix manuals