To anybody interested, I submitted this to Bugzilla (finally figured out
how to use the damn thing) and heard back from a developer that I was not
prompted for CDs 2 and 3 because I had less than 64MB on that machine.

With 64MB or more, the install makes a RAMdisk and the installation runs
from that, allowing the machine to unmount CD1 and put in other CDs. With
less than 64MB, the install runs directly from the CD and thus cannot
unmount CD1 for the others.

I actually have 64MB stick in the machine, but a 1MB is eaten by video.

Miark