On Tuesday 11 Mar 2003 12:05 pm, Derek Jennings wrote:
> SNIP
>
> > I think now I will take a look at the new Mandrake9.1RC2 to see if it
> > also does not actually set the server :)
> >
> > derek
>
> Yep. 9.1 does the same.
> Looks like a bug to me
>
> derek

The magic of Google reveals to me that when a time server is listed in
/etc/ntp/step-ticker then the computer time will be calibrated to server time
when Linux is booted.
This is fine for a desktop system, and avoids excessive load on the public
time servers. However a computer powered on 24/7 will need continuous
calibration, and will need a server(s) defined in /etc/ntp.conf.

The Mandrake Time Server GUI does not define that server, and so is being a
bit misleading when it describes itself as a tool to calibrate servers to
external time sources.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net