On Saturday 15 Mar 2003 1:18 am, Andy Davidson wrote:
> I recently installed Mandrake 9.0 on my laptop and have run into some
> oddities.  The first is crontab.  If I do 'crontab -e', it brings up
> my editor (emacs), but when I exit it, I get the message
>    crontab: no changes made to crontab
>
> The only way I can create or change my crontab entry is to:
>     edit a file, e.g., crontabstuff
>     crontab -r
>     crontab crontabstuff
>
> Why?
>
> andy

This sounds like a two phase save problem.
In order not to loose your work if there is a catastrophic crash, many editors
save the edited file under a temporary name, then rename the original as a
backup, and rename the saved file under the original name.

If any program has the file open for reading, they will still have the
original file open, and not the new file. If there is a link to the old file,
it will still point to the old file.

There will be a way to disable two phase saving in emacs, because it is a
known problem. But I was last an emacs guru ten years ago, so you'll have to
go looking for it.

--
Richard Urwin