OS: Mandrake 9.0
CPU: AMD Athlon
Board: ASUS A7V
Sound Card: SoundblasterLive MP3+ 5.1
Modem: US Robotics/3COM 56K FaxModem model 5610

Hello,

        Now that I've thought about it, and done some searching, I remember
that my first Linux experience was having to insert a 'setserial'
command in /etc/rc.local [this was Red Hat 7] to rectify an IRQ
conflict to get my modem talking with kppp.  As this may be my
problem with my sound card now, I was wondering if anybody had any
recommendations on sources of information about IRQs and where I
might put a 'setserial' in Mandrake 9.0?

        If it's relevant, the IRQ conflict seems to be with an internal
flash card reader that I plugged into the USB3 on my ASUS A7V
Motherboard.

        I'm still curious about tty's and their allocation, if any
information on this topic is available.

With an advance of thanks,
        Jim M.