On Sunday 23 Mar 2003 10:18 pm, David Marsh wrote:
> I'm just wondering what the 'easiest' way to update software in Mandrake
> is? (I'm running Mandrake 9.0)
>
> Going through the Control Center (and having to type in the root
> password each time) seems quite 'sluggish' and longwinded, but I note
> that it actually invokes a program called rpmdrake.
>
> So, I su to root in a terminal (I tend to do this, yes, I know it's not
> strictly a wise idea, as I tend to have to run various programs as root
> (eg fetchnews)), and then run rpmdrake from there.
> OK, that's quicker and less faffing with passwords, but still, rpmdrake
> itself seems a little slow, and it doesn't give much progress
> information when it is downloading files (so I'm never entirely sure if
> it has crashed or is just being slow..)
>

> However, having switched from Debian, I am familiar with apt-get (which
> I do like), and have installed the apt port for rpm. However, this seems
> to only work for 'cooker' (at least, that's what the default sources.list
> suggests) or is this incorrect: can I use apt-get with Mandrake 9.0?
>

> Finally urpmi itself: the man page suggests that urpmi can be used to
> install packages from remote sites, but I don't know how to find out
> what the location of these sites actually is, could somebody advise?
>
> (Also, does urpmi allow for interrupted/resumed downloads, which is, in
> my opinion, one of the strengths of apt-get, very handy for a dialup
> connection?)
>

> Thanks for any advice,
>

> David.

rpmdrake is the GUI front end for urpmi You are correct running urpmi directly
from a terminal is much quicker and will give more feedback.

'man urpmi' will tell you most things, but here is a quick breakdown.

urpmi.addmedia  will add online sources. Go here for a list of sources
http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php
Some sources are better than others (Some are dreadful :-( )

urpmi.update  will refresh the database of packages in a source
urpmi.update -a will update the databases of all online sources.

If the '--update' switch is used when adding a source that source is flagged
as containing updates.

To update the packages in your system to the latest available in your update
sources use
urpmi --update --auto-select
Adding the --auto switch will install the packages without waiting for
confirmation.

To upgarde from any source not just update sources, leave out the --update
switch.

urpmi will use either curl or wget for fetching packages. curl is the default
if it is installed. To force wget use the --wget switch

To install a specific package
urpmi packagename
No need to give the full package name. If it is ambiguous you will be prompted
asking which of the possible packages you want to install.

HTH
derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net