Angus,

They're both scripts..startx is at /usr/X11R6/bin and Xtart at
/usr.bin.. so you can view them with 'less' or any editor. Although they
both do the same job the code is somewhat different.

Xtart (written by Civileme) seems pretty straightforward and will start
X (xinit) according to the session scripts stored in wmsession.d.

startx reads a number of initialization files including xinitrc before
invoking xinit.

In any case follow the code through to see how they differ with respect
to starting up kde.

Terry Smith

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 21:21, Angus Auld wrote:
> Greetings,
> I have a question regarding something quite mysterious, and I wonder
> if anyone out there can help me to understand what is going on here.
> I have been using Mdk Linux for several months now, and I have always
> had it configured to boot into X at start...a runlevel 5. Well, just
> today I thought I would change that and set it to start a runlevel 3.
> I am not quite so afraid of the cl now as I once was. :-)
>
> Anyway, what I have noted is that if I start x with the command
> "Xtart", and then choose my default KDE, when KDE starts I
> get a black screen with the KDE3 graphic centered and then my
> familiar KDE desktop. What is different though is my fonts. They are
> very nice and crisp, and the same typeface as previous...except
> smaller.
>
> If I start x with the command "startx", when KDE starts I
> get the familiar blue default background with the KDE3 graphic
> centered, and once more my familiar KDE desktop. This time however my
> fonts are larger. What is causing this?
> I actually increased the size of the fonts after the first start
> using "Xtart".
>
> Is this being caused by differing screen refresh rates, or what?
> Where can I look to find my current refresh rate?
> (etc/X11/XF86Config-4 I can't fathom)
>
> I would truly appreciate any insight into this differing behaviour
> from "Xtart" to "startx".
> TIA. Best regards.
>

> --Angus
>
> "Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness."--James
> Thurber

> *Reg. Linux User #278931*
> *Power by Mandrake Linux 9.0*
Terry Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>