I did not find a way of disableing the mouse autoprobe during install.. One
option that i came across was to copy the cd to hard drive and replace the
mouseconfig 3.9 with the redhat mouseconfig file,(which apparantly didn't
freeze).  It seemed a long way around for me, so i pulled my laptop apart
and physically disconnected the mouse, installed linux with no problems on
mouseprobe. selected the standard os2 mouse as an install option and then
reconnected everything.. worked fine.. the Xconfigurator took me some time
to get right. basicly i just played with Xconfigurator in a v-console till i
got it right.. Initally had to settle for 640 x 480 but fiddling is the way
to do it. Sorry i cannot be of more help, but i am very new to linux.  Good
luck.....