Earlier on this list, I was asking many questions
about my USR hardware PCI modem that was seen by
Mandrake 9.0, but that acted inconsistently once
online.

I've had my system and modem troubleshot, but the
modem works fine in windows (according to the modem
vendor, but not the system vendor), so I'm stuck with
a modem that may work in future versions (?), and if I
buy mandrake 9.1, rather than have 9.0 downloaded (?).

In the meantime, I found a used external modem ... I
plugged it in as is, turned it on, and used modemconf
... it said there was no modem ... what's the initial
impression? Are the 8 or so dip switches in back
relevant here?

I saw a thread about this earlier in February, but the
solution had to do with bios/windows (?), which does
not apply to my situation ... MD 9.0 installed only