On Tuesday 01 April 2003 03:52 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 Apr 2003 4:41 am, Teilhard Knight wrote:
> > I mean, I know how to partition my HD. What I want to know is how to have
> > a home partition, how to make Mandrake install to recognize I am
> > selecting a particular partition as home partition. Also, how large
> > should it be? I suppose that will be my /home/user partition, will it
> > not? I have Mandrake installed in two machines. In one I gave it 10 Gig
> > space, and in the other 6 Gig, only one partition in each aside from the
> > swap partitions. and lastly, is it advisable to have any other
> > partitions?
>
> Create an extra partition to use for /home.  How big depends in part on how
> many users there are on your system.  In our small home lan there is a
> certain amount of home space used for backing up important data.  My /home
> is 6.6 GB, of which 5.1 GB is in use.
>
> It will show up in your directory tree as /home, with subdirectories for
> every user you create.
>
> To set it up, during install, elect to do a manual (maybe expert?)
> partitioning - I can't remember the exact wording.  You will then get the
> opportunity to say which partition is to be your /home directory, which is
> /, and any others you have decided to set up manually (I don't bother with
> any more, some people do).  The advantage to having a /boot separate
> partition is that if you install a second version of Mandrake (say when 9.2
> comes out) you will have less editing to do to make the multiboot work -
> but it's up to you, it's not difficult.
>
> The only other think that I can think of is deciding which format to use.
> Do choose a journaling file system.  There are many arguments as to which
> is the best type, but for simplicity for a newbie I would recommend ext3.
> It's better at recovery if anything goes wrong than the basic ext2,
> withouth complications that can happen on the very rare occasions that
> Reiser etc go wrong.

Excelent advice, Anne, thanks. I am now moving to another drive, because I am
a bit tight here with only 6 Gig for the entire OS. How much do you have for
Mandrake? I am thinking in something like 40 Gig will be more than enough.
What do you think?

Teilhard Knight
The Extraterrestrial

Who ate my sandwich?