John,
Thanks!
It turned out to be a problem with the Lindrivers for the Winmodem.
There is a Country configuration option for Italy for the driver - which
didn't solve the problem. However, if this fails, the driver FAQs
recommend adding the modem command ATX3 (disabling "Wait for dialling
tone before dialling" on KPPP is equivalent); and this has worked fine.

DougB