On Friday 04 Apr 2003 11:00 pm, Teilhard Knight wrote:
> I tried to install the drivers for my external USB modem, and the Mandrake
> 9.1 installer reports they are "the wrong signature". Does that mean I am
> doomed and the drivers are no good for me? Is there any way to get around
> this?. I installed anyway, and the modem doesn't work.
>

> Teilhard Knight
> The Extraterrestrial
>
> Who ate my sandwich?

RPM packages can be signed by the packager with their private GPG privacy key.
When you install them, your system will check to see if you have a public key
to match the signature. If a match is found it confirms that the person who
is claiming to have packaged the RPM is the same person you have the key for.

It is a protection against the public RPM download sites being hacked and
malicious RPM packages being planted onto an unsuspecting public.

If you install without a key you hoping that the RPM is OK.
(I have heard of only one instance of a download site being hacked and
malicious code inserted into a package) Your system is preloaded with
Mandrakes key, so any official Mandrake RPM should install without any error.
Other maintainers of download sites such as Texstar publish their key on their
site (with instructions) However many sites offer RPMs without any signature
at all, with the inevitable error message you saw.

So you are not doomed. If the drivers are not working there is something else
wrong.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net