On Saturday 07 June 2003 01:12 pm, Kristjan wrote:
> Hi
>
> It must be a simple thing but still
>
> How can I make so that users can
> change the ownership of files that are resided in their own home
> directory and that are not owned by them
>
> Currently an user who issues 'chown' command to the file that is not
> owned by him only gets that operation is not permitted

You're right, interesting.  I know that a user cannot create a file in a user
directory other than their own unless you have some group thing set up.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] /home/greg]
$ touch testfile
touch: cannot touch `testfile': Permission denied

I also know that a user can manipulate a file in their own home directory even
without ownership.  In other words, if a file owned by root exists in my
home, I can delete it.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~] $ ls -l testfile
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jun  7 13:42 testfile

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~] $ rm testfile
rm: remove write-protected regular empty file `testfile'? y

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~] $ ls testfile
ls: testfile: No such file or directory

Anybody know the answer to this?

--