Anne Wilson wrote:

On Thursday 29 May 2003 9:53 am, John Richard Smith wrote:

Stephen Kuhn wrote:

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 18:33, John Richard Smith wrote:

You know, you can just open a Konqueror window, right-click on
the directory you want to archive and choose "tar" from it - it
will tar/gzip it for you...just FYI.

Not in mine it would seem ?

John

Hmmm...strange - I checked all the user logins on this machine and
it does it - while you're in "file management" mode -
highlighting a directory and doing a right-click brings up some
great options on the regular context menu - TAR this file, ZIP
this file and even K3B for creating instant CD's....hmmm...

...and you're running 9.1, ya?

I'm currently on M9.1 with full updates, and on here where I'm
typing now M9.0.

So I right click a directory and I get,
Create Directory
New window
undo
cut
copy
paste
find file
rename
move to trash
delete
add bookmark
open with
cervisia ( what's this ?)
preview in
edit file type
properties
share

It makes no odds whether that is to a directory or a file.

Of course a proper downloaded tar.bz file I can right mouse click
and extract here , etc,
but I have no create tar file and compress facilities as you
describe. I would have to resort to the CL.

John

Odd, John. You have a whole section missing between 'preview in' and 'edit file type'. I presume that tar etc is installed? I would have though that it would be in the default install.

Anne

That is what I'm beginning to wonder, I had assumed it was a default system install. I don't even know what the name of the packages are to install it ?

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]