Have you tried booting the laptop (assuming that it is one) WITHOUT the xircom card inserted?

It's "hot-pluggable" so when inserting it mdk should load the needed modules and you should hear 2 beeps that it's been recognized.
Check what modules are loaded using 'lsmod' and use 'cardctl ident' to check if all's OK.

I'm saying this cause my laptop doesn't boot correctly (read freeze-up) in Mdk9.1 with my pcmcia CD-rom inserted but hot plugs fine.

BTW use 'cardctl eject' to remove the card safely, they're expensive those cards;o)

I tried taking out the card and booting without it. Then inserting the card. Mandrake still sees it and uses xircom_tulip_cb module. Strangely enough cardctl ident:

Socket 0:
product info: "Xircom", "CardBus Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56", "CBEM56G", "1.03"
manfid: 0x0105, 0x0103
function: 6 (network)

Which id's the card correctly as Cardbut Eth + Modem.

lsmod gives:
xircom_cb               8456   0  (unused)
xircom_tulip_cb        14552   1

I then ejected the card using cardctl eject, and did a modprobe -r xircom_tulip_cb. Then I reinserted the card and I saw that Mandrake didn't load xircom_tulip_cb again, and that only xircom_cb was loaded. Still nothing worked and I still can't access my modem.

What can I do to manually control this behaviour?