On Friday 30 May 2003 12:56 pm, Lady Mark graced me with:
> I have tried to install a printer with LM 9.1.  The printer, a
> Lexmark X73, is connected to a XP machine (192.168.1.101).  Its
> share name is LexmarkX.  I am 192.168.1.100.
>
> Printerdrake detected the network, installed samba (with MDKGROUP,
> whereas the rest of the network is Mshome), detected the printer,
> the brand and model, got a driver (for a X42), even gives me a
> printer status when I send a test page (printer ready), but no page
> prints.
>
> Where should I look for the glitch ?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Lucy-Ann

My first step, reagrdless of problems, would be to change the
workgroup name on your network to one or the other. Make it 'mshhome'
or 'MDKGROUP'.

Secondly, I would place the name and IP address of your printer in all
the 'hosts' and 'lmhosts' files, as they apply:

LexmarkX                            192.168.1.101

If you are statically addressing your network (manually assigning the
IP addresses for all devices and PC's), you should place these
references in those files. It could be that you are looking to send
the print spool to "LexmarkX", but the computer doesn't know how to
resolve that into an IP address, in this case "192.168.1.101". If you
are running DHCP, you will need to check that to see if it shows
assignments to the printer at that address. If you are statically
addressing the printer, but using DHCP for everything else, you will
need to place the printer name and IP in the 'hosts' and 'lmhosts'
files as well as exclude that IP address from the DHCP range.

There could be other concerns with your setup, Lady Mark, but these
are two that seem obvious enough for me to comment on. The rest would
be in your Samba setup, I would presume.

HTH