Not sure what all you have tried:

Have you done the "normal" routine of running aumix and kmix both, and
making sure things aren't turned to zero?

I also had to do a weird thing: click mute all in aumix twice.  You'll want
to do all this with someting running (like an mp3) so you can tell if it
starts working.

Then save the settings for both..

eric