On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 15:57, Michael Viron wrote:
> Just a thought, but keep in mind how much easier things have become.  I'm
> not sure how many "old-timers" are on the list, but it used to be that in
> order to do just about anything, you had to compile it yourself.

Slackware's FIRST release. Downloaded from the Walnut-Creek site
(ftp.cdrom.com). Took a week to get the bloody thing up and running, and
STILL without networking via 8mb ISA Lantastic card. Barely even had
anything other than a shell. The "hot stuff" was to telnet via com port
to the linux box via serial port FROM the BBS server and make use of
bash scripting for menus and navigation. Ooooooooo....hot stuff that!
OpenWindows was the XWindows default. (Still works nicely on MDK 9.1,
too...hehehehhehe). When FvWM hit, THAT was hot stuff. Took ages to
figure out how to add programs to the menus. OpenLook was easier because
the text files for the menus sat in /usr/openwin/include - so it was
really nicer to have running even though FvWM looked nicer.

Sitting through an OS/2 installation was preferable to doing the
Slackware installation, and took less time (believe THAT!). RH's first
installation in 1994 wasn't much better than Slackware's - and I thought
RH would die quickly and Slackware would rule. WRONG.

Wow, that brings back memories...or is it mammories?

--
Sun Jun  8 16:00:01 EST 2003
 16:00:01 up 1 day,  1:51,  3 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.15, 0.11

A filter set contains all imaginable wavelengths and widths- except the one
combination you need
                -- Ralf's Laws of Observational Astronomy n6