On Friday 13 Jun 2003 1:28 pm, Jan Wilson wrote:
> * Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [030613 05:58]:
> You know, it took a long time before I got unconfused about that,
> myself.  What you want is:
>
> ln -s <target the link will point to> <name of link>
>
> This seems somehow backwards, and the man page uses terms that
> didn't make it clear, at least for me.
>
> > OK - obviously there's something I haven't understood.  Not
> > least, 'why' it's not permitted.  I thought that it would
> > overwrite the existing link/icon.  Is that not so, or is there
> > some other aspect that I have misunderstood?
>
> If there is an existing file, directory, or link with the same
> name, you will have to delete it first.  ln won't overwrite an
> existing file name.  And remember, EVERYTHING in Linux is a file
> ;-)

Hi, Jan.  OK - got the link created.  Then I created one to another
location, which I called OldHome, being my /home in 9.0.  All I
wanted to do next was replace the default folder icon with the
folder-important icon, to make a clear differentiation, but I was
told I do not have sufficient access to write to
/home/anne/Desktop/OldHome/.directory.  Can you explain to me what is
happening here?

Anne