On Friday 13 Jun 2003 5:32 pm, David E Fox wrote:
> Usually, yes. Windows doesn't make a distinction, mostly because it
> has no concept of links. A link (in Unix) is another alternate name
> for the same file (or inode). Directory entries basically have two
> components - a name and an inode. Actually there are other entries
> as well, but for simplicity's sake we can ignore them for the time
> being.

<snip>

Thanks for the clarification.  I'll keep that to refresh my memory.

> It seems you are attempting to make a file that points to
> itself. In what directory are you trying this? Sometimes you need
> the extra 'f' to force (ln -sf) the linking. I've usually learned
> to automatically get my fingers to type 'ln -sf' when I want to
> link a file. And I think you have the source and destination
> reversed - that may be the cause of the confusion.

It seeme that the book that I paid £30 for gave me the wrong
instructions!  It said ln -s linkname fullpath.  Thanks to others on
the list I've got it sorted now.

> Since you mention icons, is this a kde 'shortcut' When you click
> on Graphics, is the intent to bring up the Graphics subdirectory?
> If so, an easier thing is to create a new Link to URL by right
> clicking on the desktop. Then you can name the file "Graphics" and
> make the URL 'file:///graphics" for instance. And if you click you
> get a window directory listing from konqueror.

This is what I had done earlier.  However, if you do that, the ls from
a console, it doesn't appear to be a soft link, which is why I felt I
should change it.

Anne