On Sunday 15 Jun 2003 6:46 am, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-06-14 at 15:29, Miark wrote:
> > More like "boring" if you ask me. What peaked your interest?
> >
> > Miark
>
> It's actually quite interesting that The Open Group would state that all
> of a sudden - they're wanting to maintain that UNIX is UNIX and they've
> literally stated that IBM has a right to the source code as well as SCO
> does...needless to say, the wraps are coming off the entire scenario as
> it's being proven that SCO (and whatever software engineers) as the ones
> that have written bits into linux code, instead of vice-versa...

They do not say anything about source code, or access to it.

] As the owner of the Unix trademark, The Open Group has separated the Unix
] trademark from any actual code stream itself, thus allowing multiple
] implementations."

] The simple fact is that throughout all of this, both SCO and IBM do have
] certified products. Each is licensed to use the Unix trademark in
] association with certified products with the correct attribution."

The original press release: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,922913,00.asp
says that the issue is source code related, not trademark related.

] The SCO filing said that IBM entered into its original Unix license
] agreements with AT&T Corp. in February 1985 to produce the AIX operating
] system. The agreements required that the Unix code be held in confidence and
] barred its unauthorized distribution or transfer.

] "IBM has been happily giving part of the AIX code away to the Linux
] community, but the problem is that they don't own the AIX code," McBride
] said. "It's a huge problem for us. We have been talking to IBM in this
] regard since early December and have reached an impasse. This was thus the
] only way forward for us."

So TOG is saying nothing substative about the case.

--
Richard Urwin