On 15 Jun 2003, Stephen Kuhn wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 00:14, Wm. G. Urquhart wrote:

> > > Mine's about 20 seconds on a 1.2ghz Celery w/768mb RAM...
> > >

> > I've just subscribed to this list can I ask what we're measuring here, if
> > it's boot time then count yourselves lucky. :-)
>
> Time to load OpenOffice from point of click to actual start of program.
> It loads all it's necessary libraries at that time, unlike MS Office
> that has DLL's loaded at the actual system bootup for Windows (whatever
> version); that's how MS Office "appears" to load so fast - it's because
> most of it's engine is already in system memory prior to even launching
> the application. That's how Microsoft makes use of "slight of hand" to
> make things appear faster - same with IE.

Hi Thanks for the quick reply.

I've just tested my OpenOffice (Using Write) and it load in 14 seconds
this is on a Dual Processor 200Mhz (yes! 200Mhz) running 9.1 with 1Gb RAM
a 56Gb SCSI RAIDed disk subsystem, and a TNT2 M64 32MB Video.

The system is in fact a DELL 6100/200

This is quite acceptable to me or have I missed something?

--
William