06/16/03

Hello All, from The Other

I thought my modem was going berserk the last few days, because every few
moments I would hear a Click-Up, then Click-Down noise coming for the
desktop box.

Then I started having Linux boot-up problems.  The less than one month old
new hard drive was dedicated solely to Linux. The years old hard drive was
the Win95B hard drive and my primary boot drive.

I started doing updates to my Mandrake 9.1 instead of the install from
scratch option.  It would run fine until it tried to boot again after being
shutdown the night before.

It got really bad this morning, when I saw a fsec (?) message telling me to
run it on hdb (the Linux drive) manually, without using certain options.

I tried for a complete reinstall from scratch this morning, and the Mandrake
setup program was unable to format hdb or write the partition table.  I
booted a Win95B floppy and ran FDISK.  I was getting 'write protected drive'
errors so it wouldn't format the drive either.

Question:  Is this a crashed hard drive?  Or is there something else I can
try to get the hard drive recognized by Linux?   Before I buy another drive,
I want to make certain I've exhausted all recovery procedures with this
Maxtor drive.

Any known problems with Western Digital IDE hard drives and Mandrake 9.1
Linux?  Something in the 20GB to 40GB range is what I'm considering buying
next.  Is that a mistake?

Thanks All,
The Other