Hello Brant,

BF> They don't make a single drive larger than what Mandrake can
BF> handle as far as I know.

Very nice!

BF> Are you planning on using RAID to group a bunch of drives
BF> together?  If  you are planning on using RAID it's also unlikely
BF> you will outgrow what Mandrake can handle.

I wasn't - I seem to have reasonable reliability with current HD's,
and can afford a short recovery process if need be.

BF> The file size and file system limit for the reiserfs file system
BF> is 17.6 TB on 32 bit systems.

I'm using ext3 now. Is that also huge?

BF> The short answer is: money is what determines the largest disk size that
BF> you can use with Mandrake. :-)

Ah, yes. There's always *that* limit. :-)

>>This brings up the issue of complete backups, most likely to another
>>drive in a removable bay. What is the most reliable/easiest/fastest
>>way to do:
>>
>>(1) a complete backup (one that can restore a bare computer to the way
>>it was).
>>
>>(2) a backup of just 'data' files (simple copies of many dirs).
>>

BF> It depends on what your needs are.  Do you want to be able to restore
BF> the entire drive or just the data files?

Both. I do periodic complete/disaster backups, with much more frequent
data-only backups. [Yeah, yeah, I know - I should do more frequent
backups.... This is a recorded announcement.] :-)

--
Thank you,
 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]