Hi,

I would like to thank  Derek Jennings and FemmeFatale for the replies.

I am sorry if the old hands find this a bit over kill but for beginners like
me this is good.

I want to add that I also needed to print and read about 70 pages from lilo
htm and pdf files.

Something else I would like to point out - I used Mandrake9.1 install
partitioning to do the disk - when it reached apps to install I reset the
PC. I prefer mandrake partitioninig - more friendly for me.

This is for information only to someone who may need it.

Have installed 3 OS's on one disk - see below

I installed dos - then - redhat - then - mandrake.

Do not forget make boot disks.

They do not see each other or use each others partitions unless mounted.

When I installed redhat I let it install lilo - when you install mandrake it
will owerwrite the MBR with its version and this way you can test out redhat
before you continue.

Mandrake was last - I found in the past that mandrake is good at picking up
OS,s and configuring them in lilo. This time picked up but used mandrakes
linuz & initrd.

Derek's reply eventualy put me on the track. Thanks.

All examples refer to my setup.

This just show the drive setup.

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/hde1 * 1 101 811251 6 FAT16 - Dos

/dev/hde2 102 2494 19221772+ 5 Extended

/dev/hde5 102 1261 9317668+ 83 Linux --Redhat8.0

/dev/hde6 1262 1362 811251 82 Linux swap -for both

/dev/hde7 1363 2494 9092758+ 83 Linux --Mandrake9.1

What is importend for this to work is the following after all installs
done..

1. With Mandrake loaded.

2. Su in console.

3. mkdir /mnt/redhat.

4. mount -t ext3 /dev/hde /mnt/redhat - THIS IS VERY IMPORTEND otherwise it
will just NOT work. If redhat is not mounted by fstab (I dont do - only on
console when needed) If you should run lilo -v on another day - repeat 4.

5. cd /etc

6. gedit lilo.conf

7. add the lines as below and save.

8. lilo -v.       ( MBR ).

9. What is importend add /mnt/redhat to image and initrd - if you leave it
out at initrd -- command lilo -v will complain : fatal: no such file or
directory.

After a lot of grief I realized this.

<snip>

image=/mnt/redhat/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8

label="Redhat"

root=/dev/hde5

initrd=/mnt/redhat/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img

read-only

Enjoy

Johan

.