ok, in windows you can right click on "my computer" and it gives you hardware
profiles and you can see if everything is working correctly.

1st question....where do you do that in mandrake 9.1?  i think i saw it before
but can't seem to find it now.

2nd question....can you test your hardware for problems?

reason i ask is i've had some minor problems with my video card before.  when
the computer would go into "power save" mode and turn the moniter off, half
the time the moniter wouldn't come back on, it would give me an error (can't
remember what it was).  i got around that problem by turning that feature off
and just manually turned the moniter off.  well, earlier today, my moniter
got REAL fuzzy, as in, could barely read the screen.  i logged out of linux
and jumped over to windows, same thing.  then turned the comp off, restarted
it, same thing again in linux and in windows.  then i switched moniters and
the problem is gone.  yes, that would generally mean that it's the moniter
that is bad, but it's a brand new moniter, not even 2 weeks old.  anyway,
just wondering if i can test the vid card while it's in the computer just to
be certain it's the moniter and not the video card.  Thanks!