Hi!

I've been looking into this as my father has one and I'm trying to convert him
over to Linux (he finally had enough of the Illegal Operations in Winblows).
Unfortunately, he brought the scanner without checking with me first.

The current state, according to the SANE website (http://www.mostang.com/sane)
is that it is not supported in the current release version, is not working in
CVS, and scanning through the mailing lists, it may not be for some time.

The problem is that Canon have never been forthcoming with their specs and
API's.  While the kernel and hotplug can see and identify the scanner on the
USB bus, it doesn't know how to talk to it, which is the job of SANE.  No
SANE backend currently supports it.  It may eventually be supported in the
Canon 630U backend (which uses the same chips), but does not appear to be a
priority for any of the developers involved.  Until someone reverse engineers
a back-end for it, it's just a paper-weight.  If I find some time, I may be
able to help out, but don't count on it.

Given the price of scanners these days, it may just be easier to buy a new
scanner that is supported.  I can recommend going for Epson models, as their
support (except for the odd model) is near perfect and I've never had
problems with mine.  Lesson: check the list before buying, or live with
dual-booting.

Now, if only I could find a decent front-end.  XSane has great features but a
terrible interface, Kooka has fewer features and a so-so interface.  Any
ideas?

John.