On 22 Jun 2003 03:51:00 +0930
Mike Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> No errors on mkdir test.  that directory is only an ftp folder.
> "How are you trying to change users? Logout and log back in from the
> Login Manager?"
> Yes, pity it doesn't work.

Ok, yer replies come in the weirdest places! You should try to maintain
the thread, it's easier to follow.

Anyhoo, if you can mkdir test in /mnt/win_d, then there's nothing wrong
with the actual setup, it's your X desktop that is having issues, not
the system itself.

It is actually very common to not have the option to reboot from the
Login manager, at least I have heard that complaint from many people on
here. Really, IMHO, it is far better to boot to a text-mode login in
Linux, just go  to Mandrake Control Center and Boot. It will allow you
to set it to runlevel 3. That allows you to shut down your X desktop
cleanly and then diagnose the problem. Also, you can reboot easily by
pressing ctrl-alt-del or shutdown by typing  "halt".

When the machine boots, you can then login and choose what desktop or
window manager you want to run.

I don't think I ever asked, what desktop are you using, ie. KDE, Gnome,
etc.?

--
+ Joe Hill
+ Registered Linux user #282046