On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:24:10 -0500
"C. Tresenriter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> So if I understand, tar, bzip, etc. require compiling and RPMs are
> already compiled....  Is there a tutorial or link to explain all
> aspects of compiling to a noob like me?

Most source packages will come with, ahem, detailed instructions
(README or INSTALL). 9 times out of 10 the instructions are:

unpack archive

cd into new dir

./configure

make

this assumes you have all development tools installed like gcc and so
on.

> and did I read something about making an RPM out
> of some other format?

yes, SRPMs can be compiled with rpm --rebuild *.srpm, again, you need to
have the development tools installed though.

--
+ Joe Hill
+ Registered Linux user #282046