Michael,

if you want to run win 98 or 2000 or any windows os alongside the linux it has to be installed first ( as it seems you have ) the 15 gig remaining is fine for linux set like this :

7gig for /
8 gig for /home ( there are more partitions you could separate out but you will be fine with these. )

If you wanted to run an additional os a /boot partition of 500 meg would be an advantage, but only if you want to run three or more os's

this gives you enough room for installs and personal files,
and with this setup if you need a reinstall all you need format in the future is the / partition ( don't need to reformat /home each time. )

the 100 gig will depend on what you plan on using it for.

for example if you want to do a lot of music or video editing and plan to use a windows based application to do it you could make it a fat32 windows drive and place all of you work there. this would keep it separate from the windows os files so if you needed to reinstall windows you would not lose any work.

however if you plan to do the editing in linux then you would have to set at least part of the drive if not all of it as a ext3 linux drive
or another linux files system of your choosing.

I have a /win_c    partition
         /         partition
         /home     partition
         /backup   partition
         /tmp      partition

the extra /backup is for storage and backups
      the /tmp is because I load and unload allot of apps.

but this set up is just me, there are many many different way to set up your partitions.

hope this helps some. :~)

Mike

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I'm sorry to ask this again, because i asked something along the same lines last week. someone even gave me a link for it, BUT....my hard drive was formatted out and everything is GONE. here's the setup....

2 hard drives
20GB partitioned to 5gb for windows and 15gb for anything else
100gb drive unpartitioned and fresh

took FOREVER to get the 100gb drive installed, but it's finally up and running. i had formatted out linux and ended up doing a re-
install of windows 98. so to get to the questions i have...

i need a lnk explaining all the linux partitions or someone to tell me what they are. i know one of the partitions is used for backing up the OS, and i'd like to store that on a separate hard drive. i want to make sure i put that partition separate in case ANYTHING.

i've got 15gb to run with on my smaller hard drive. i could dedicate it all to linux if need be. the 100gb drive is a little faster than the 20gb drive. 100gb drive has 8mb buffer, 20gb drive has 4mb buffer, both are 7200rpm and 8.9ms seek time. both are on the primary IDE channel, 20gb is master, 100gb is slave.

as i already said, i'm sorry to ask the same questions over again, but i've lost everything, and i really don't know how to do a search for previously asked questions.

also the intended use of my computer.....(because i'm sure this helps to know)

music (constantly)
video (getting into editing and burning VCDs)
some gaming
school work (semester starts Aug 25...been 7 years and i can't wait to get back!)
web surfing

i plan to share music and video between linux and windows. i'm actually going to partition my 100gb hard drive later on to separate them, or should i do this before installing mandrake 9.1 again? meaning, is it easier to have them partitioned prior to installation than it is to get new partitions working in linux? (btw, diskdrake is MUCH easier to use than fdisk)

on a windows related note....after using linux for only a week and then going back to windows, i find myself utterly lost in windows. i'm addicted. running multiple desktops is REAL nice, and i started to really prefer mozilla over internet explorer.

thanks to all!

Mike McNeese Springdale, Arkansas USA

 Dual booting 98lite;MDK 9.1 stock kernel Kde 3.1
 Registered Linux User #248955 liquid/acqua  Theme

"If obstacles are what you see in your path...
                Then you have lost sight of your goal! "