Johan Scheepers wrote:

Hi John
The drive you are using is it live or clean?

Not sure what you mean. I have a 40gig maxtor . just the one.

I am reasonably sure that if your first istall will write its detections to
MBR

sure.

and the second install will overwrite MBR with its own detections.

sure it will

The
last install will activate its own flavour and maybe will have problem with
first install - that you can correct using the examples I posted.

ok.

OK I have a spare drive I will experiment over the weekend. install dos install mdk9.1 expert mode but let it write MBR. install mdk9.1 auto mode Make copies of lilo.conf of both installations. Will check for lilo not to install Did mine in auto - I am sure mdk9.0 has has that option. I will do this just for the expspeariance. Johan

I would like to do the second M9.1 install and be sure NOT to install a
lilo anywhere, but so far I haven't seen any means by which you can skip
the lilo install on current M9.1 install discs.
Then use the lilo of the first M9.1 install, and it's link with
/etc/lilo.conf in the first M9.1 OS,  to enter a stanza to boot the
second M9.1 OS, but I'm not at all confident that ,

a) I can skip the second lilo install,
b) That the lilo of the first install will not get confused which of the
two /etc/lilo.conf scripts now available to it,  and end up reading the
wrong lilo.conf script, the one from the second M9.1 install.

Am I assured this will not happen ?  How does Lilo map itself to
/etc/lilo.conf, will it find the correct partition to read lilo.conf ?
when you have two identicle M9.1 on the same drive ?

I just wonder how lilo maps lilo.conf ?

I am guessing that it is merely set up to look for an /etc/lilo.conf in
/ partition, but that would be risky, it might find the /etc/lilo.conf
of any old linux OS, so there must be something more to make certain of
it. I suppose, when lilo is installed, it maps the partition table and
is told to look for a /etc/lilo.conf on /dev/hd(x) where x is the
partition in question. So that would be all right then. That makes sure
it doesn't pick the wrong one.

In which case it's just a question of making sure lilo does not get
installed on the second M9.1 install, anyone know for sure how to do
that, because so far I haven't noticed how to do it on the current
version of drakeX.

John

Now that would indeed be very kind of you as I don't want to sod up what I've just spend days configuring, and I don't have a spare machine to experiment with right now. This whole thing must have a simple solution, I just cannot believe people haven't solved the problem by now. I am guessing in the past when you could easily skip the second lilo /mbr install it was just as simple as that, but do prove me wrong.

john

John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]