On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 18:33, Curt Tresenriter wrote:

> I'm confused... sorry if this is a stupid question but, it seems you're
> saying that the files actually aren't necessary but since they are
> enabled and can't be found, the install stops, no?

The executable will call functions from certain libraries. If these libs
are not there, the binary won't be able to run. Therefor the installer
will first check if everything is present. Otherwise you sit there
looking at an installed program that won't run.

> I'm not understanding why it installed in 9.0 with no problem but not in
> 9.1 (not that it matters but I have this "need to know"
> >  Just do ./configure, make, make install as usual.
>

> <scratches noggin'>
> I'm a little confused/ignorant on this compiling from source issue too.
> I've gathered that's it's not difficult but having never done it...

As soon as you tar xfzv <file> tar will create a subdir in the directory
where your prompt is, e.g.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] tar xfzv tarfile

will make a subdir tarfile in directory computer.

> I have the tarball (.tgz), before I do 'tar xvzf <filename>, does it
> matter where the file is? eg. it's in a download directory under
> /home/curt right now, do I unpack it there and continue with
> ./configure, etc... or move it somewhere first, then cd to that dir and
> proceed?

Just unpack it where you want it.
You can tar x it in /home/curt/download, getting
/home/curt/download/sylpheed...  From there you can ./configure etc.

> And, once the install is done, those files can be deleted from the
> download dir or wherever they end up... correct?

Right.

> Thanks for your help.
> I'm looking forward to the day when I can give back to those as green as
> I am today.

We all had to learn. :)  And now we spread the knowledge. The more the
merrier!

Paul
--
Thou shalt not get physically involved with the computer system,
especially if you're already married.

http://nlpagan.net - Linux Mandrake - Ximian Evolution