06/30/03

Hello All,

In a few days (I hope), I'll have a replacment for the Maxtor 30GB drive. I'll be dedicating the entire drive to Mandrake 9.1 Bamboo.

I plan to use the Bamboo system for music hard drive recording, editing, and score printing.

Any suggestions on how I should partition the drive, and in what file format system?

Before my hard drive crash, I was reading about a special music low-latency kernel (anyone know where that's available?), and a special file format for hard drive recording (sorry, forgot the name of that file format.) Anyone know what file format I'm referring to?

The Bamboo suggested partitions last time I installed were /, /usr, and a Linux swap file. I was using Journalized something 3 file format for / and /usr.

What should I consider this time? And how many GBs should be in the partitions?

I have 128MB of memory. Does the Linus Swap file really need to be bigger the 256MB? (Bamboo suggested 800MB last install.)

Would a 10GB partion for hard disk recording be reasonable? And in what file format? (That would still leave me 20GB for the remainder of the system.)

Besides / and /usr, are other mount points and partitiona desirable?

Thanks All,
The Other