On Tuesday July 1 2003 09:59 am, Lucio_Costa wrote:
> Can anyone help me?
> I received 4 Dell Opt1plex 260GX box, P4 2.8Ghz, 1.0Gb
> Ram,  and I tried to install MDK 9.0 on it. I didn't
> have problem in installation process, but I couldn't
> update It; I received information about processor
> incompatibilities.
>
> Do You have any information about it?

    Intel chipset (n&s bridge) motherboards have been a problem ever
since Intel abandoned 440BX and embarked on the i8<whatever> series
chipsets. Windoze too, but particularly Linux, as Intel refuses to
contribute or provide chipset specs to Linux kernel development. I
suspect you've got systems with i845 chipsets, some of the worst.
They're just startin to get it right with their i875 chipsets. Dell
could pose an additional problem as that company and other large
OEM's usually furnishes OEM Only Spec chipsets in their systems.

   Progress is being made tho, but you'll probly need a newer kernel
than 9.0 provides. I'd advise against the last two cooker kernels,
but you might try the multimedia kernel in cooker contribs (RPMS2)
on cooker mirrors, 2.4.21-0.18mm-mdk   For a list of mirrors look
here  http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/cookerdevel.php3
   Caution tho, kernel won't be a problem, but do not try'n mix
other cooker packages with older releases.