G'Day Derek,

Well you have answered that question.... :-)
Yea I am running NTFS. Trust BillG to make things difficult for everyone - making friends again :-)

Pete

From: Derek Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Accessing 'C:\Windows' ?
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 13:42:20 +0100

On Tuesday 01 Jul 2003 12:53 pm, Peter Moscatt wrote:
> I have a dual-boot system which comprises of Mandrake 9.1 [default] and MS
> WindowsXP.
> When viewing the file system with Konqeror I can see Windows in the '/mnt'
> area. I can browse it's file system but when I want to copy a file from
> the Linux system to the '/mnt/windows' - I get an error that I don't have
> enough permission to do so.
>
> This even happens when I log onto linux as 'root'.
>
> How can I copy files across to Windows ?
>
> Pete

If your Windows file system is NTFS then you cannot.
Writing to NTFS from Linux is 'experimental' and is disabled by default in
Mandrake. (In other words it could trash your filesystem)

Microsoft regard NTFS as a 'Trade Secret' and will not release its spec.

The solution is to use a FAT32 partition for data you want to share between
Windows and Linux.

(An even better solution is trash Windows :-)

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net

Hotmail is now available on Australian mobile phones. Go to http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/signup.asp