On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 03:26, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 16:28, Frankie wrote:
> > thats fantastic.. I hope they do alot of business..
> > And i hope the mandrake machines are much cheaper.
> >
> > now if Dell and all the other biggies would sit up and take notice. linux
> > may well make a desktop dent.
> > rgds
> > Franki
>
> Part of that would entail "getting in good" with the hardware
> manufacturers - that's where Microsoft has made the inroads. It might be
> done with smaller, more flexible "start ups", but the big dogs - Dell,
> HP and the lot - are all butt-buddies with M$ and it would take more
> than a gigantic crowbar to get'em apart.
> (Sorry for the colourful metaphor)

I realize that this has some entertainment value, but I need to point
out some inaccuracy regarding the targets.  Dell and HP are probably
exactly the wrong ones to have targeted for being M$ butt buddies.  In
truth, HP has always pushed a Unix solution for it's high end, even
before Linux came around, and has plotted for some time to get around
the M$ juggernaut.  Their windows pc's are more of a tap dance around
the issue than a visit to the M$ gay bar.

Michael Dell, on the other hand, has had some personal run-in's with
Bill Gates regarding the M$ tax and is as I understand it not very well
disposed towards either the company or the man.  In risk to his M$
dealings he has offered in the past at least some Linux options
regarding his hardware.  Granted, these may have waxed and waned as time
has gone by, but this is more at the wrong end of a shotgun than it is
by free choice and greed.

Now if you want to list the real M$ butt buddies you can start with
Gateway, and I promise you that will be a real good start.

--LX

--
Kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk       Linux Mandrake 9.1