On Wednesday 02 July 2003 1:22 pm, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 20:31, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Does anybody know why when I assign a host name other than "localhost" to
> > my machine, X gets incredibly slow, there is also some error that flashes
> > up before X starts that says unkown host name?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> You may have set the system to use DHCP for resolution of not just the
> IP address, but the hostname as well - you might want to go through all
> your networking configurations and reset the hostname so that it's
> "static" - as well, it's always a good thing.

Hi stephen,

that's exactly the problem I have and what you suggest is what I am trying to
do - but:
- I start mcc
- network...
- wizard
- autodetection selected (expert mode also selected)
- Next...
- finds lan connection (ethernetcard)
- Next...
- checked automatic IP (hootp/dhcp/zeroconf), DHCP hostname = localhost, start
at boot selected, BUT NOT: Assign hostname from DHCP address
- Next...
- zeroconf host name = localhost, Host name (again) = localhost
- finish
--> my hostname nevertheless becomes something like: "x1-6-07-04-47-b8-8c-ea"

I tried all possible variations in the wizard: expert/no expert, cable instead
of Lan connection, dhcp-client, dhcpcd, dhcpxd, No DHCP host name,
with/without "Track network card", with/without "Network hotplugging",
with/without "Assign Host name from DHCP address", no entries in DHCP host
name as well as "localhost" as hostname, same for zeroconf hostname and
hostname on the page afterwards in the wizard.

--> my hostname still is like: "x1-6-07-04-47-b8-8c-ea"

--> I cannot change my hostname!!

some more info:
-"hostname localhost" as root changes the hostname only temporarily, but
dhcpcd is obviously restarted often and changes the hostname back to
"x1-6-07-04-47-b8-8c-ea". (which is strange in itself because I used to get
another hostname from my ISP before in mdk9.0)
-/etc/sysconfig/network: HOSTNAME=localhost
-/etc/hosts: 127.0.0.1          localhost
- when I disable dhcp on boot then the "localhost" sticks and works fine,
until I try to connect with either of the three dhcp-clients...
- my ISP, which seems to give me this strange hostname, is unable to resolve
this hostname with myself so I cannot resolve the hostname and IP of my
computer, which disables vmware and Gnome

it all worked flawlessly in mdk9.0, 8.2 and 8.1 but now there is a different
mechanism at work here, and I have no clue what to do...

So in short: how can I set the hostname of this machine to localhost and still
connect to the ISP by dhcp ??

b.