Tom Brinkman wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> > Tom Brinkman wrote:
> > >
> > > /dev/hdb:  [8.4g WD Caviar, Mdk 6.0 and swap are on the first 3g's.
> > >  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.01 seconds =126.73 MB/sec
> > >  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in 12.62 seconds = 5.07 MB/sec
>
> Steve:
> > Run:  hdparm -m16 -c1 -u1 -d1 -k1 -a128 /dev/hdb
> >
> > If it goes without error, put it at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local.
> >
> > The command will setup 16 sectors for multi-sector transfer, turn on
> > 32bit interface support, turn on interrupt masking (will allow other
> > interrupts to be serviced while hard drive is busy), turn on DMA
> > transfers, set the drive to keep these settings over a reset and set
> > filesystem readahead to 128 sectors.
> >
> > After running this, rerun the hdparm -tT a few times to see what the new
> > rates are.  If they still seem low, tweak the -m and -a values.
>
>     I used Steve's suggestion, only modified by a note I found in
> 'info hdparm' for the '-m' setting:

        [snip]

> now it benches:  hdparm -tT
> /dev/hdb:
>  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.94 seconds =136.17 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  6.04 seconds =10.60 MB/sec
>
>        That's about a 5% increase in buffer reads, but a whopping
> 209% increase in disk reads.  It's very much apparent in how fast
> programs like StarOffice and Netscape load... _twice as fast_ than
> before Steve's suggested HDD optimization.
>
>         Thank's again Steve.  What else ya got??  ;-)

Tom,

Excellent work!  I'll be playing with some of the suggestions that you
used on the -m switch to see if I can get a bit more output of my
drive.  There's always a bit more tweaking to be done.  :)

Next up, serial tweaking!  (gimme a little time on that one, I'm outta
town!)

--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator