Hi,
This is for experimentation.
Setup :
2 HD's - hde & hdg
.Mdk9.0 on second HD - hdg6
Remove drive one.
Using GRUB bootdisk  - booting hdg6 which is now changed to hde6.
Before this (after file backup) I edited the fstab that the references to
the previous partiton hdg6 now is hde6.(Wel I think it should be hde -  I
have no way to find out- no system running)
When booting I edit the references in this menu-option to refer to (hd0,5) &
hde6.
It boots fine untill it displays : kernel panic . No init found. Try passing
init=options to kernel.
Ok if all is normal this line should read INIT : version xxx
Well even before this some other errors creep in - like from mounting
reiserfs it becomes a lot of errors.(If mounting failed then no file can be
found?)
OK this is absolutely new ground to me - know nothing about kernel
parrams/etc.
When this happened the first time I did the fstab changes hoping this wil
trick the kernel. (ha-ha).
System search revealed several int files/directories several places.
Cat the one in /etc/sysconfig/init refers to colors and some stuff but no
partition.
When does fstab come in while booting.
I also tried mapping but only one drive - map to what?.
It is easy to trick DOS. It seems that a lot more or not possible to trick
linux.
Maybe there is to much involved that makes linux "drive and partition"
specific.
If this means a major overhaul it will not be worth the effort. Like a new
install or whatever if this situation arises.
Please what else need be edited or whatever to make this work?.
Maybe I am expecting to much?
Johan

May this be a good day for learning