ed tharp wrote:

On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 09:51, John Richard Smith wrote:

ed tharp wrote:

On Sat, 2003-07-05 at 20:01, Thomas Williams wrote:

I have a question for all of you. I have a HP Pavillon with both a serial mouse connection and USB ports and I'm running MDK 9.1. I have an opportunity to get an optical USB mouse. I'm reasonably sure they will work with Linux, but what I want to know is, are there any ones I should stay away from? Is there a particular model I should try to get? I've been looking at a Kensington model that is relatively cheap and even has the scroll wheel. Will this work with Linux? They don't mention Linux in the list of OSes it works on, but that's not a surprise.

Tom Williams

not to be stupid, I am just trying to get my head around something here,
for what reason do you want to use a USB mouse over a serial mouse? are
there some advantages I have not considered? (like freeing up an irq
line? are they less expensive? better cable routing?) thanks.
ET

I've changed all my mice over to one make of optical mouse.

This is a Packard Bell C-3UP 3button scrollwheel optical mouse.
Currently available here in UK from PC World @ £9.99 each, while stocks last.

So far it works well with M8.1, M9.0, and M9.1 , in both serial port and usb mode, though I prefer to use the serial port connection as it would otherwise use up a valuable usb socked.
I don't really consider speed as an issue with a mouse. So unless anyone can suggest a solid reason to use a valuable usb socket for the purpose of a mouse I'm sticking with it in serial port mode.

John

I am pushing cordless mouses of all types these days, the PITA of corded
mouses has made me crazy the last time, and fully agree with optical as
the better choice in terms of use over time, but have not settled on a
particular name brand as best, but i like logitec, for my self.

Personally I'm not much interested in cordless, a standard cable optical scrollwheel mouse is fine enough for me. I looked at the latest logitech but couldn't get a decent deal here in the UK and as I wanted 6 as a minimum , that was that. But I cannot complain, I've just this afternoon installed another Packard bell C-3UP and they seem just fine so far. It's early days.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]