Sorry to butt in.  While I have been an ardent supporter of HP56 (PCTel) modems in the
past, I don't believe they are a good choice for Linux anymore.  The problem is that
the ptserial driver is compiled with gcc 2.9x and most current versions of Linux use
gcc 3.x.

What this means is that when you insmod the drivers, you must issue an -f to "force"
the module to load (otherwise, you get an incompatible compiler message and the load
fails).  Since it has to be forced to load, simply inserting it in modules.conf will
fail to load it, too.  The only option is to load it manually (or through a script).
To the best of my knowledge, this driver is not open source, so it's not an option to
just recompile it with the new(er) gcc.  Loading it through a script does work, but it
is an ugly kludge.

Just my two cents,

Joeb