Thanks to some clues from newbiers I got the following conclussions:

1) There is no need to logout to have updated the bash env vars. Just type bash from a terminal.
2) One must update PATH var in .bashrc file NOT in .bash_profile. By the way, does anybody know what is .bash_profile for? Echoing both files I only get inside .bashrc.
2) Kconsole losses the history after updating this way PATH

Weird.

Attached you have both files, .bashrc and .bash_profile

Rosario

# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
        . ~/.bashrc
fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/sbin:$HOME/bin

echo "dentro de .bash_profile"

export PATH

unset USERNAME