On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:36:15 -0500
Brooks Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> How does linux handle file fragmentation and, thus, defragmentation?

The file system is just smarter about how it writes and locates on the
drive, so much smarter than something like FAT32 that it is not even on
the same plane of existence. NTFS might be slightly better than FAT32, I
am not sure, but I know I have had to defrag NTFS drives before so it
does happen.

As for the nitty gritty, you would need to do some heavy reading on
Journalised File Systems, Google is your friend there.

Main thing is, don't worry about it, it would take you decades of
haphazard writing and deleting to frag your linux partitions.

--
 Joehill
 Registered Linux user #282046