On 14 Jul 2003 23:41:39 -0500
Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> I did install the update from a source tarball. But where do I install
> it then? And where do I execute ldconfig? You have to remember that
> I'm quite new to Linux (sorry ;p).

Heh. Like I say, if yer installing glib from source, yer way ahead of
some of the dunderheads around here...wait, did I just say that out
loud?!

When you install from a source tarball, in my experience you want to do
it a bit differently for critical libraries like glib and such, because
Mandrake tends to put them in non-standard locations (I think *good*
ones, but that's another flame war).

Instead of just ./configure, do ./configure --prefix=/usr
(this is for glib).

To execute ldconfig (and updatedb, just to be sure), su to root in your
fav terminal and simply run the commands.

su root

enter password for root

updatedb (go get a coffee)

ldconfig

then try installing Pango from the source packages and report back!

The main thing to keep in mind is if you keep track of what you are
doing, and don't, repeat *don't* delete the source packages once you
install, you can always uninstall, go back, and start over.

Ya, it's not like installng Kazaa on Windows, I'll give ya that.

--
 Joehill
 Registered Linux user #282046