I am trying to create a directory with a datetime stamp as part of the
directory name.  This is for backup purposes so I know when a directory is
backed up.

This is what I am trying to do on the commandline:

datedir= date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S
mkdir /tomcat$datedir

But, all I get is /tomcat.  I do a echo $datedir and it's empty.  The reason
it's empty is the space between the '=' and the command 'date'.

So, I try:

datedir=date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S

but I get an error saying that it can't find command '+%Y%m%d%H%M%S'.  I try
putting it all in quotes, but that just echos out the command again like
it's a string:

datedir="date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S" or datedir='date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S'
echo $datedir
date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S

So, I tried this:

date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S | mkdir

and that failed.  So did:

date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S > time.text
mkdir < cat time.text

and:

date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S > time.text
mkdir < time.text

How would I go about capturing the datetime stamp and then using that to
create a directory?

Thanks for the help.

Troy Davidson
Linux User #311107

Follow the adventures of a
real life computer and
      gaming nerd!

   www.clandaith.com

** This messages was composed on a 100% Microsoft free computer **