On Saturday 19 Jul 2003 2:40 am, Tsyko wrote:
> I am assuming I need to upgrade my kernel as my radeon 9700 doesn't
> work with the new intel 875 chipset. X keeps telling me that it
> can't use AGPGart.
>
> What is the easiest way to do this? I am running MDK 9.1.
>
> Thanks

The easiest and safest way is to go to your boot directory and copy
and paste vmlinuz and initrd.mdk.img to include the current name,
e.g. initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img.  Then, instead of upgrading, you
install the new kernel.  When you have done that, rename them to
include the version as well.  You will then have to manually edit
lilo.conf so that it offers you the old and the new version, using
the new names of the files to tell it which one to load.

The advantage to this is that if something goes wrong you can always
boot back to the old kernel.  Personally, I would put in an extra
stanza in the lilo.conf using the new names, before I did the
install.

Don't forget that you have to run /sbin/lilo as root when you have
made any changes, or it will still act on the old one.

Anne