g wrote:

crak600 wrote:
> sorry to post this to the list to get the 4 of you, but i can't seem to access

i still would like to set you '/etc/lilo.conf' and '/etc/fstab' files.

problems that you stated before are still unclear and above files will
shed light on just how you are set up as for automount or supermount.

peace out.

tc,hago.

Here is my lilo.conf

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk
      label=91-2.4.21.0
   root=/dev/hda7
   initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img
   append=" quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi acpi=on"
   #append=" quiet devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"
   vga=791
   read-only

The # line is as how M9.1 created it, but I want both dvd and writer scsi-emulated

Here is my fstab
Under automount, works fine.
/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto user,iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
/dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0

As per M9.1 installer supermount, except I changed /dev/hdc to /dev/scd0 to reflect scsi-em.
#none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
#none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd1,fs=auto,rw,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

As per supermount suggestion here on list
#none /mnt/cdrom dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
#none /mnt/cdrom2 dev=/dev/scd1,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

Of course I #, and un # , each set of entries and run mount -a to remount them in each trial case.

neither of the two supermounts work well, true you can use the command line, but that is about all.
There are no properties entries in desktop Icons for each device to access media that way.

In addition many apps, including xcdroast, work badly with these supermounts.
When I click on xcdroast it takes an eon to load the app to screen.
Reading media from dvd and write takes far too long,
The read process is slow , much slower than the natural speed of the drives.

In short , noone would want to use supermount under these conditions.

The only other thought that just may possibly have a bearing here is that I do have both a camera and a smart card reader that appears on the bus, when connected, and always sends all devices connected to the bus , ie dvd,writer, camera and smartcard reader to go walkies around the bus, ending on different addresses on each bootup occassion, so that when I use an app like xcdroast , or cdrecord I have to reset the device setting every time I load it.
I don't think this is relevant to the supermount question, but I mention it just the same, as I suspect the whole question of how the system allocates addresses to the bus for each and every device is still a matter for refinement. Yes, it is another issue ,but a related issue and requires attention.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]